Guiding Principles for Student Development & Leadership
We believe that extra-curricular activities should be regarded as a vital part of the total educational offerings of our school and an extension of the classroom. We encourage student participation and would like to involve as many students as possible in this experience. All students will be afforded opportunities to develop their work ethic, sense of commitment, social, and intellectual skills.
The purpose of our activities program is to provide our students with the opportunity to use their God-given abilities so that they can:
- Witness their walk with Christ as they spend time with fellow students outside of the classroom
- Develop good personal traits that include a strong work ethic, self-discipline, and positive self-esteem.
- Gain life skills such as teamwork, leadership, and good citizenship.
Messiah is entering their third year of participation in the LSAM Academic Scholar Bowl. Scholar Bowl is open to students in 7th and 8th grade. We will hold an informational practice early in the fall for students to become familiar with the rules, question types, and pace of the game, and will then form our team. The team travels to many area schools throughout the fall and winter competing approximately once a month. At the end of the season, our top players are invited to attend the LSAM State Competition in Jackson Missouri. Messiah placed first in the Bronze division at the 2014 state competition, and first in the Silver division at the 2015 state competition!
- Coaches: Lyn Biesendorfer and Amy Williams
- Fees: None
- Eligibility: Any 7th or 8th grader who is interested can join
- Schedule: Practices begin in November and matches take place in December and January
FAITH + SPORT = FCA Unite your two passions, faith and athletics, to impact the world for Jesus Christ. Coaches, atheletes and fans are answering the call. God is doing amazing things everyday through thousands of people on teams, in schools and in communities worldwide.
- Leader: Tim Dwyer
In Girl Scouts, girls discover the fun, friendship, and power of girls together.
- Leaders: Kelly Heiman (Daisies) and Kelly Powell (Brownies)
- Fees: The annual registration fee is $25. We also collect $20 in dues at the beginning of the school year.
- Eligibility: K-1st grade may join Daisies and any 2nd or 3rd grader may join Brownies
- Schedule: Monthly meetings September through May, with additional field trips and special events throughout the year.
Thanks to Lutheran High School St. Charles, Messiah was blessed with the opportunity to take two teams to the First Lego League competition at St. Charles Community College last fall. Plans are well on their way to do this again in 2015! Lutheran High will be delivering their Lego EV3 Robot kits to our school on August 30, and we will hold an evening camp for any students in grades 5 through 8 that may be interested in joining a team. The camp will run from Monday, August 31 through Friday, September 4. During the camp we will introduce many Lego robot components and will learn to use the software to program the robots to perform a variety of tasks. At the end of the week we will form our teams. The teams are limited to 10 students each. Learn more about First Lego League here–http://www.firstlegoleague.org/
- Advisor(s): Charlie Brewster and Janelle Thomas
- Fees: N/A
- Eligibility: 6th-8th graders. Summer service hours are required to apply prior to the school year. Students need to fulfill service hour requirement, fill out application and submit letters of recommendation. All applications and requirements are due by the 2nd week of the school year.
- Schedule:Two Wednesday hour long meetings per month. A few weekend night events during the year.
The yearbook committee is responsible for the creation of the school yearbook including format, design, and photography.
- Advisor(s): Lyn Biesendorfer and Jana Brackman
- Fees: None
- Eligibility: Any 8th grader who is interested can join
- Schedule: Meetings begin in February and continue until the end of the school year
Learn More about the application process for admission online.
See Messiah in action by visiting with our teachers and students.
Learn more about the application process for financial aid.
Ask us a question about enrollment or how we support our students.